Mogadouro: Travel and tourism

Burlão House
Burlão House
The name recalls the Arab occupation of this region («Mogadouro» comes from «Macaduron»), and it took the Portuguese nationality in 1272. Little remains of the castle, apart from a hilltop tower, built here by king Dinis and given to the Templars in 1297.

Nearby, one can still admire the pillory, the 16th-century Mother Church (with a 17th-century tower and interesting gilded retables from the 18th century decorating the altars), some curious mansions (although not too well preserved) and the Convent of Saint Francis, dating from the 16th and 17th centuries and with paintings worthy of record.

Mogadouro is a drowsy little town offering excellent handicrafts, namely silk, linnen and wool articles and leather goods.

From the peaks of the Serra da Castanheira mountains, the visitor can admire, in Spring, the marvellous white «sheet» of blossoming almond-trees, and it is also worth climbing to Penas Roias, where from the old castle and tower a magnificent panorama can be seen.

At Bemposta (seat of the county until 1836), the scenery which surrounds the dam over the river Douro is always impressive.

Nearby, the humble village of Algosinho has a church dating from the 12th century with a curious characteristic: the access is made by going down a granite staircase, and with its single nave and Roman pillars it rather ressembles a crypt.

The gastronomy at Mogadouro follows the robust diet of Trás-os-Montes and the posta de vitela (thick grilled veal steak) fully deserves its reputation.
Featured
Estalagem Solar dos Marcos Estalagem Solar dos Marcos
Bemposta, Mogadouro
$$$ (50 to 100 euros)

Solar dos Marcos is a historic palace reconstructed from an old bishops residence of the 18th century, where Dom Manuel Martins Manso, bishop of Guarda, was born and lived.

Best deals

Find your hotel here

Destination

Check-in

Check-out

 © 1997-2019 Guia de Viagens Portugal Travel & Hotels Guide | Disclaimer | Contact